Using this exercise early in your development along with a metronome will help you grow in the following areas of your guitar playing:
- 2 Hand Synchronization - This ensures that both your picking and fretting hands are working together at the same time.
- Finger Strength
- Finger Independence
What To Do
- First you need to memorize the chromatic warm up exercise. Until you complete this step, don't go any further.
- Play along with a metronome by playing 1 note per click (this is called playing in Quarter Notes).
- Make sure you are using a strict "down up down up" picking pattern.
- Listen to the tracks below and try to play along with them.
- Once you finish, move on to 1/8 notes section where you will play 2 notes per click (this is called playing in Eighth Notes).
Each track will begin after the first 4 clicks (this is where you start playing). After you finish the exercise once, you will hear me give you a 4 count and then you need to immediately start again. Once you reach the top speed on the quarter note exercises, then you may move onto the 1/8 note exercises. Don't jump right to the 1/8 notes unless you can play one note per click at 200bpm.
1/4 Notes - 1 note per click
1/8 Notes - 2 notes per click
Count = 1 an 2 an 3 an 4 an